top of page
HF Darling History


On July 1st, 1937, Mr. Herbert F. Darling, Mr. M. J. Connelly, and Mr. T. Gordon Gutting formed Connelly Brothers, Inc in Cincinnati, Ohio.


With four cranes manufactured by the Northwest Engineering Company and #5 and #6 air-operated McKiernan Terry Co piling hammers, they completed tunneling and pipeline projects throughout the Cincinnati area.


In 1940, Herb purchased the company from his partners, organized Herbert F. Darling as a sole proprietorship, and moved the company to Williamsville, NY, to pursue work associated with the first upgrade of the historic Erie Canal.


In 1957, Herbert F. Darling, Jr. joined the company, and Herb Sr. and Jr. ran it as president and vice-president until Herb Sr.’s death in 1968. Herb III (aka “Buck”) joined his father in the family business in 1980, as did Buck’s brother-in-law, Thomas R. Weaver, in 1987.

History of HF Darling

Together they grew the company’s deep foundation and marine construction capabilities, including forming a marine division in 1996 and creating DarDrill in 2006 to better serve drilled soldier pile and cassion customers. 


Upon Herb Jr.’s retirement in 2003, Buck and Tom became President and Vice-President, respectively. Herbert F. Darling, Inc is in its third generation of family ownership and, for more than 80 years, proudly serves upstate New York and western Pennsylvania’s deep-foundation, shoring, and marine-construction industries.

HF Darling Original Sign
bottom of page